Got Veggies?Posted: June 15, 2012
When temperatures rise it’s always fun to enjoy treats like popsicles or shaved ice at fairs and family events. But this week why not try something different, fun fresh local veggies! Saturday, June 16th marks National Fresh Veggie Day and we’ve compiled a list to help you and your family celebrate this year!
#1 Become a chef
Fresno’s Young Chef’s Academy has added a Garden Veggie Pocket to their June menu! The YCA offers classes for children of all ages (Kinder to Teen) and even offers instruction for adults. For more information on Fresno’s Young Chef’s Academy visit their website or call 559-433-6698.
#2 Shop local
We live in the Valley! A place that produces the majority of fruits and veggies for the world! You can also join in the celebration by supporting local farmers. The River Park Farmer’s Market is every Tuesday during the summer months and is open from 5-9 p.m.
Buddy’s Farm Fresh Market on the corner of Shaw and West in Fresno is also a great place to purchase fresh locally grown veggies! Or try The Orange Store on the corner of Shaw and Maroa in Fresno. If none of those work, we gathered a list of a ton of other great local markets here.
#3 Share your veggies with friends
These fun recipes incorporate lots of fresh veggies and are great for sharing with friends!
- Tumbler cups, or any other clear plastic cup
- 4 carrot sticks per cup
- 3 celery sticks per cup
- 3 red pepper strips per cup
- 3 grape or cherry tomatoes, per cup
- 1 spoonful of ranch dip per cup
- Place a spoonful of ranch dip on the bottom of a tumbler cup. Arrange 4 carrot sticks, 3 celery sticks, 3 red pepper strips, and 3 skewered grape tomatoes in the cup.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe courtesy of centercutcook.com
Fast Vegetarian French Bread Pizza
- 1 French roll, cut in half
- 4 tablespoons ranch dressing (fat-free or lite)
- 1/3 cup tomato, diced
- 1/3 cup fresh mushrooms, diced
- 1/3 cup zucchini, diced
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or italian seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line baking sheet with foil, and treat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Scoop out a little of the middle out of each roll half.
- Place halves on baking sheet.
- Spoon dressing over each half and spread evenly.
- Layer veggies (or mix together) over dressing.
- Sprinkle basil and garlic powder atop vegetables.
- Pop in the oven, and bake for 10 minutes until cheese melts or is crispy
Recipe courtesy of Food.com
Will you trade your popsicles for carrot sticks this year? Let us know! We’d love to see pictures of you and your family celebrating National Fresh Veggies Day!